History

  • 1847

    In 1847, missionaries began work in the Brownsburg area and realized the need to start a church. In 1851, Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church was formed with 18 people meeting in a log building. In 1857, a simple framed building was constructed in our current location. In 1886, the church started its first church plant in Boone County, IN.


  • 1923

    After a rough period, and even closing the doors for five years, the church had a rebirth in 1923. It reopened with a renewed focus and experienced years of growth, including building a new building, even without a long-term pastor.  

  • 1959

    Then in 1959, Don Tyler was called as the pastor of the church. Under his leadership it began to see an even greater increase in evangelism and discipleship. A bus ministry began in 1961, and the church assisted in planting a new church on North High School Road in Indianapolis in 1964.

  • 1972

    New and creative ways to spread the Gospel began. We sent out our first foreign missionary, Diane Kerstetter in 1972. Bethesda Christian Schools opened in 1974, and the Living Christmas Tree began in 1979.

  • 1987

    In 1987, the church began to focus on planting new churches throughout the Indianapolis area. Over the next decade we oversaw the planting of or came alongside to help support the existence of 11 churches. As another way of reaching out, the church came together to produce The Board in 2008 and The War Within in 2014, movie explanations of the Gospel.

  • 2010

    A clothing and food pantry, now known as The Storehouse, began serving our community through the church.

  • 2014

    The foreign missions program at the church began to implement a targeted focus of church planting and assistance in three countries - Brazil, India, and Germany.

  • 2016

    Back to Bethlehem began as an opportunity for families from the community to experience the first Christmas and hear the good news of Jesus Christ.

  • 2017

    Northwest Community Park opened as a gift to the community with a fishing pond, walking trail, and 18-hole disc golf course.

  • 2018

    The church became known as Parkside Bible Church, with a renewed commitment to the Gospel and a focus on serving the community.